Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Polling-Eve Ponderings

The eastern outskirts of the city of Worcester, seen from the top of the Cathedral tower, 30th November 2019.
And so an unhappy country braces itself to go to the polls, and I record my thoughts so that I will know how I felt before the result turns out to be whatever the result turns out to be.

In many ways, our present difficulties are simply the result of things working properly.  A government lacking a big majority, such as we have had ever since the European Union referendum, cannot do very much, even if it is not splintered by disagreement within its own ranks, as this one has been.  If it is frustrating for many that Britain's departure from the European Union is proving less than graceful, not all the reasons for this are bad reasons.  Some are simply the results of the encumbrances we accept as the price of democracy.

This may also be the case with the strange episode of the Supreme Court which, as I understand it and record here for future reference, went like this.  At the end of August, Boris Johnson, faced with the challenge of persuading a pro-Remain Parliament to approve a Brexit Bill by a deadline of 31st October, sought to prorogue or suspend Parliament for a number of weeks.  By all appearances this was done for no reason other than to short-circuit the opposition: to scupper any stratagems of Remainers by simply pulling the plug on them.  A private individual (the pro-Remain businesswoman Gina Miller) then appealed to the courts in the hope that they would declare this tactic unlawful.  In response, the courts first had to work out whether or not they had any say in the matter at all: the Scottish High Court decided not, but the Supreme Court, to which Ms. Miller appealed next, took the opposite view.  The prorogation of Parliament was thus found indeed to be a matter for the courts, and the Government's actions were indeed found to be unlawful.  Parliament was duly recalled and business resumed.

That was a moment at which everything felt too close and too momentous to gain a proper perspective and make up my mind what was going on; I couldn't really tell how significant these developments were.  But was this, too, simply everything working properly? In some ways the ruling of the Supreme Court looked like a restraint on power, something I would be inclined to favour.  Certainly, there was the sensation of a system being put to the test by the impetuosity and imprudence of a bull in a china shop, and holding firm.  It seemed not unduly alarming that some sort of mechanism should swing into action and restrain the Prime Minister.  Yet I remain unsure of our reasons for having a Supreme Court in the first place, and worry that it is just as likely that such a body might equally have taken power for itself.  Some commentators have been of this opinion.  (But what do I, a mere peasant, know of such constitutional technicalities?!)

But really, our problems are far deeper than can be resolved by any mere general election.  Our crisis is not only political, but also spiritual.  What I hope for in Britain, a renewed culture, is simply not on offer at this election. Indeed, no political party alone could offer it.  Meanwhile,  as things stand, many people find themselves angry and unhappy without really knowing why.  The offerings on the menu at this election will hardly make them less so.  Can a serious churchgoer vote for any of these parties in good conscience?  Do any of them have at the forefront of their concerns the downtrodden, the marginalised, the unborn, the elderly, refugees? The security of families, the happiness of children? Do any of them seriously mean to serve the common good?  I know that there are many good and hard-working candidates sincerely hoping to do the best for their constituencies, but the top links of the parties, the forgers of policies, all seem to be in thrall to the dictatorship of relativism, and unfriendly to the Christian Church.  How can I vote for such parties?  I suppose we were told to expect nothing less.  But, just to take one example, it is disillusioning to see the Liberal Democrats and Labour Party, almost as a footnote but with a kind of forensic spite, pledge to abolish the Marriage Tax Allowance: a petty, partisan thing to do, to single out this particular policy for abolition, trampling on tradition just for the sake of it.  (The other parties are little better.)  And all while millions of people suffer the purposelessness and alienation that some sort of encouragement to marriage might just — who knows? — help to dispel.  A new survey has revealed that British teenagers are among the least likely to believe that their lives have meaning or purpose, marriage rates are collapsing, and so many people suffer from loneliness that a ministerial position has been created to deal with it.  (At least the need has been noticed).  But these problems present too great a portfolio for any minister.

I say that our problems are deeper than any General Election could solve, but not that they cannot be solved at all.  There are great numbers of ordinary people with sensible heads on their shoulders, keeping things going, quietly maintaining the social fabric of the world.  I realised recently that the cleaner of the office where I work, who is unfailingly cheery and good-humoured, never mentions politics or complains about politicians, in spite of the hardships of her job.  Even among my own generation, of which I am sometimes tempted to despair, it would do me good to remember that there are huge numbers of quiet people who think carefully and sensibly and wisely, and act accordingly.  The amazing thing is that many of them are my friends.  Heed not the words of the loud, but the deeds of the quiet.

But the surest answer to our problems, though rather drowned out this year by all this electoral flurry, is quietly hoped for all through Advent.  When tomorrow is all over, we will have perhaps a fortnight left of Advent's sweet suspense.

3 comments :

  1. Most interesting! I have very little purchase on the particular policies of the British parties, and as my focus on this election is very much on Brexit. I suppose I stopped paying attention to the details of party policies when I realized all the mainstream parties had departed from any kind of respect for life, the family, religion, and the nation. I must admit my interest in this election is purely on Brexit and my hope is for a clear victory of pro-Brexit Tories-- not out of any love for the Tory party, be sure.

    When I visited England recently I saw the "ordinary people with sensible heads on their shoulders" all around me, in pubs and Christmas fairs and so on. However, I realize this ordinary virtue, admirable as it is, is no guarantee of making the right choices. In Ireland, I have to reconcile the fact that most of the people I meet are kind, decent, warm-hearted etc. with the fact that two-thirds of them voted for the murder of the unborn.

    Finally, I went looking for "Heed not the words of the loud, but the deeds of the quiet" on the internet, and found it nowhere. I take it that it is original. It is quite brilliant and deserves to enter common usage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'I realized all the mainstream parties had departed from any kind of respect for life, the family, religion, and the nation' — this exactly. The unilateral scorn I have for them is not a pose, not just adolescent cynicism, but the only response I can make to what's on the menu. Even if I can agree with some individual policies or ideas, it's a struggle to find common ground with their overall vision and design. I don't want what they seem to want! Each finds a unique recipe for the abandonment of the common good.

      The Conservatives' 'Get Brexit Done' slogan has been designed to tempt anyone who wants a close to the Brexit saga — or this chapter of it, at least! But what then? As you say, they are still the Conservatives, and I thump no tub for them as they stand. It's a bit cheeky of them to try and ride the Brexit wave, too.

      It's disillusioning because I really am open to persuasion. I don't have a party-political allegiance, so my vote is up for grabs every time an election comes round. But nobody wins me over!

      Yes, that line came to me last night. Am glad you like it and agree! It's probably down to all the Tolkien I've been reading lately.

      It's certainly true that it is hard to reconcile common sense with some political results, like, indeed the traumatic Eighth Amendment referendum. I suppose there is a lack of interest in, or indifference to moral questions that is hard to explain: the dictatorship of relativism at work.

      Delete
    2. Slightly lazy thinking from me there. By 'They are still the Conservatives' — I mean that, as far as I can tell, they remain a party which has overall been no particular friend of the Church for a good long while.

      Delete

Please add your thoughts! All civil comments are warmly welcomed.