Friday, May 22, 2020

Three Childhoods

  On whose account, then, of these hundreds
  Ashrill in this playground of anguish,
  Under the yellowish, suburb-smothering noon,
  Of these hundreds at sixes and sevens at ten and eleven,
  Should Heaven be loudest appealed to?

  Luke Salt's, for example?  Wild-hearted and gleeful of limb,
  Eager to get stuck in
  To some challenge in which to triumph
  And bring out the best in his allies and rivals alike,
  But a boisterous-elbowed boy,
  Blind to his own wayward roughness, so can't think why
  Teachers all pick on him.
  And what he might do without meaning, though done on purpose,
  Others do back, so he does back back —
  To be punished with shunning and shame.
  And trouble at home he carries in secret to school
  In goblets of anger that always, eventually, spill
  Awfully over, costing him comrades,
  Marring his soul with a dark and deepening stain,
  And laying to waste the Luke Salt who might yet be,
  But whom, if lost, shall we ever regain?

  Or Connie-May Bushell, alight
  With gregarious giggles, and bright with wit,
  A brilliant play-mate aflash with ideas,
  Lively and bookish, but apt to be led astray,
  Whose innocence, if undefended,
  Will soon be ended?
  For what will prevent her, some day not far hence,
  Seeing the world's ways,
  From trashing her own constitution
  And wholly dismantling her soul,
  Abolishing all the old ways with all her might,
  Shuttering, barring, veiling,
  Uprooting and ridding her whole
  Self of her former self?
  The passionate games will die,
  Sullenness cloud her eye,
  The voice that should sweeten will harden,
  And only a shadow will loiter
  Where light should have lightened the lives of all around.

  Or perhaps Peter Palmer,
  Standing out under the branches still,
  Imagining friendship under the dust-brown leaves,
  Friendship and conversation;
  Given to sniffiness, true, towards most of the rest,
  Vexed by their posturings, irked by their noise
  (The bossy and fussy girls and the mindless boys) —
  But heart set firm on a distant bearing:
  Transcendent good, and to do what is just
  Will endure what he must.

  O Lord, save thy people, and bless thine heritage.
  Govern them, and lift them up for ever.
  O Lord, in thee have they trusted.
  Let them never be confounded.

2 comments :

  1. Dominic, I do so enjoy love your blog; this May 22 post reminds me of both Sir John Betjeman and Gerard Manley Hopkins SJ. I am posting a link to your site on my June 1 parish newsletter. Like "the Gentle Author" of Spitalfields Life you give no biographical information (other than your youth). I wish I knew more about you . . .
    Thank you for many a stimulating read: I was a high school administrator on 3 continents for over 4 decades, though born and educated in England, now long retired.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mike,

      Thank you very much for this comment and for your kind words. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoy my blog; that is wonderful to hear and encourages me to keep writing. And thank you for putting a link to the blog in your parish newsletter (May I ask where you are writing from?)

      Biographically, I'm not sure there's much interesting to say! I am a British Catholic in my late twenties, living in south London, working as an archivist, and trying to hone my writing craft.

      By the way, I'm especially glad you commented on this poem (as opposed to a prose piece). It was a bit of an experiment! As a former high school administrator, you will know better than I whether it reflects the truth. Yes, Hopkins and Betjeman are two of my literary heroes. I wasn't consciously imitating them, but perhaps they have got under my skin!

      I have to thank you, too, for introducing me to the 'Spitalfields Life' blog, which was completely unknown to me. It looks as if it is worth reading!

      Dominic

      Delete

Please add your thoughts! All civil comments are warmly welcomed.